In 1739, Frederick Prince of Wales attended the Banbury Races and stayed at the Abbey. He enjoyed his visit so much that at his request an obelisk was erected on high ground in appreciation of the hospitality of his host, Francis North. The obelisk also commemorates the visit of another royal, George IV when, as Regent, he visited Wroxton in 1805.
English translation of 1739 Latin inscription:
Frederick, most gracious, most bountiful Pince of Wales, having been entertained with Hospitality by his servant Francis, Lord Nord and Guilford of Wroxton, ordered this obelisk to be built for an increase of splendor and in memory of his visit. September 1739
English translation of 1805 Latin inscription:
George, Prince of Wales, descendant of Frederick adorned with the virtues of his grandfather, wished the renewed hospitalty shown to him by Francis, Earl of Guilford, descendant of Francis of Wroxton be inscribed on the obelisk. June 1805.